Sunday, May 4, 2008

The Narrow Gate

If you've arrived here, on this brand new blog "We Are a Catholic Family," chances are good that you've read a post by me on another site, perhaps a news site or a Catholic site. Thanks for coming! I hope you find something here worth your time to read.

My goal is to make posts faithful to the teachings of the Roman Catholic Church in places where they might reach someone who needs to read such a post (as we all do -- what blogs do you think I read for encouragement?!). I post in places where most readers are ignorant of and/or hate the Church, in places where a lot of the folks are "just like me," and in places where the readers seem to think they are more Catholic than me or even the Pope! In other words, I'll talk with just about anyone if it will serve my one purpose in posting: I want to be a little roadside sign pointing to the narrow gate!

As you might guess, this "narrow gate" is the one Christ spoke to us about in the Gospel of Matthew (Matt 7: 13-14: "Enter by the narrow gate; for the gate is wide and the way is easy, that leads to destruction, and those who enter by it are many. For the gate is narrow and the way is hard, that leads to life, and those who find it are few.")

Christ is that gate, which we enter by following Him through the hills and valleys of our daily life. And, Christ has given us the Catholic Church to guide us on our way. We will only be happy -- imperfectly here on earth and perfectly in Heaven -- if we strive for holiness, which is nothing more or less than conforming to Christ as taught by His Church, suffering and rising.

So, I would consider myself most richly blessed by God if I could be a little sign, one of many such signs along the road of your daily life, one that points to the narrow gate.

Posts to come: About me (gotta have one of those, right?!); Why Roman Catholic?; A Word About "The Word" (nerdy Catholic details about Bible translation and study)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let's talk about it!